Landlord’s Loses Everything - Flat Destroyed After Tenant Fire

A Luton landlord was left devastated after his two bedroom apartment engulfed in flames last month. The town’s fire department concluded that the blaze started due to a faulty tumble dryer purchased by the tenants. Fortunately, the tenants were able to escape, but all household belongings along with the apartment were lost.

VA Guidance

It is important to understand that these things can just happen, but whether it’s a landlord or tenant, ultimately, it’s up to the individuals to ensure all items are safe… Therefore, it’s critical to ensure you are protected and there are steps you can take to minimise the risk of these things happening.

PAT Test Guidance

Portable Appliance Testing is NOT specifically required as part of a license condition and not a legal requirement, but it is always best practice for landlords to ensure your household items are safe. Landlords, make sure you have ALL electrical items PAT tested by your electrician.

photo of flat

Gas Safety Certificates

Gas safety checks are also key a responsibility for a landlord - without one, you are not legally permitted to let your property. Landlords are also legally required to renew their gas safety certificate every year. Should you require a new certificate, VA have you covered. We’ll send a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate to you and your tenants, so they know everything’s safe and ready to use. And if there are any emergency repairs needed, we’ll do those too.

Smoke Alarms

It is a requirement of the law for landlords to install working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in their properties. Smoke alarms are a landlord’s responsibility - every privately rented property needs to be fitted with them. It is a requirement to install at least one smoke alarm on every storey of the rental property on which there is a room used as living accommodation.

Tenants Insurance

Whilst tenant’s insurance is not a legal requirement, it does offer peace of mind and will help protect tenants should the worst happen. Tenant’s insurance will also cover any damage sustained to the landlord’s belongings caused by either the tenant themselves or visitors.

Tenant Insurance click here
or contact our preferred partner Goodlord for a reasonable quote on 0203 936 2450

Landlords building insurance

It's a good idea for landlords (and homeowners) to have building insurance* in place to protect not only their tenants but also their investment. Landlord buildings insurance can cover the cost of repairing or rebuilding your property if it's damaged by something like fire, flood or vandalism.

VA Management Services

Our VA Management Service provides guaranteed peace of mind for our landlords. If you would like to avoid the time and hassle of overseeing viewings, collecting rent, investigating maintenance and other tenant issues, then we’ll do all of it for you.

Landlords, you are in safe hands and protected with VA - give us a call: 01582 346 203

Page banner ad image